All of us at Happiness House depend greatly on our many volunteers who help us to fulfill our mission and achieve our vision. Volunteers are the heart and soul of our agency. Whether they are community members or service learning students and interns, it is through their dedication, commitment and many hours of volunteer service that we express our most sincere thanks for all they do to ensure the success of Happiness House. We encourage interested parties to contact the volunteer coordinator with any inquires and/or questions. Current and future volunteer availabilities may be checked when contacting the volunteer coordinator Ashley Male at email@example.com or (315) 789-6828.
If you would like to become a volunteer or intern, please review the following information.
The volunteer opportunities at Happiness House are as vast as your imagination. We offer a variety of experiences based on your personal interests, educational goals and needs, including:
- Children’s Programs– Gain valuable skills while working in a classroom at one of four locations. We offer preschool in Canandaigua, Geneva and Waterloo. As a volunteer, you may find yourself reading a story, aiding the teachers in daily activities, playing games or even assisting a child with special needs.
- Gorham Residential Home- A residential home for teens and young adults with developmental disabilities. Come participate in daily activities or aid our staff in assisting the consumers on outings or daily living skills.
- Structured Day Program for Adults- Assist our Day Program Staff with adults affected by Traumatic Brain Injuries or Developmental Disabilities. Work directly with the consumers assisting with activities like gardening, photography or obtaining a GED.
- Therapy Services and Clinic- Clinical services are available to individuals both pediatric and adult, including occupational, physical, aquatic, psychological, and speech and language therapy. We work with many colleges and universities coordinating clinical placements.
- Summer Rec. Program- Come and join our four week summer program for children and teens with developmental disabilities. Interact with staff and consumers while they enjoy all summer has to offer.
- Special Events- Throughout the year Happiness House has many events to promote awareness and raise money to support our programs. We welcome you to volunteer at one of our many events: Upcoming Events
To ensure a positive experience for Happiness House and volunteers, we request the following:
- Personal Interview – if not affiliated with an educational facility.
- Commitment to a regular schedule
- Attend a volunteer orientation as well as a possible program orientation.
- Complete an application.
- Background investigation including fingerprinting.
- Current Health Information.
- Documentation of 2 MMR Immunizations and an annual negative TB skin test.
- Letter of recommendation.
- Sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
- Follow Happiness House’s Code of Conduct.
**Depending upon Program assignment, additional paperwork may be necessary. The volunteer coordinator will provide you with more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I start volunteering?
- The first step to becoming a volunteer is to review the Steps for Becoming a Volunteer. Contact Ashley Male at 315-789-6828
2. How old do you have to be to volunteer at Happiness House?
- All prospective volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and in good health.
3. Can my family volunteer together?
- Volunteers usually work individually in specific programs. We do offer opportunities at many of our Special Events that may meet the needs of a family or group. Check out our Upcoming Events to learn more.
4. Can my company/organization volunteer as a group?
- Groups interested in scheduling a one time or monthly activity with our programs should contact Ashley Male at 315-789-6828. Our Upcoming Events are also a great place for groups and companies.
5. Can I observe in the classroom or a therapist?
- Yes, we offer observational opportunities. Please contact Ashley Male at 315-789-6828 to find out more.
The first step to become a volunteer at Happiness House is to fill out a volunteer application and return it either by email, fax or mail. The volunteer Coordinator will then make contact to discuss available opportunities and placement. Should your application be accepted, additional paperwork and health information will be requested before you may begin your time with us.
We appreciate your interest in sharing some of your time with our consumers and staff.
Contacting the Volunteer Coordinator
For additional information on volunteering, clinical placements and observations at Happiness House please contact Ashley Male at (315)789-6828 or email.
*Requires Adobe Reader